- A Lasting Power of Attorney allows you to plan in advance, who would manage your affairs if you were unable to do so yourself,
- The document can be used with your consent, or when you lack mental capacity to make your own decisions.
- The power can be used on a temporary basis – for example if you were in hospital for a period, or out of the country.
- You can appoint up to 4 attorneys and state whether they should always act together, or whether each one can act on their own.
There are 2 types of Lasting Power of Attorney.
Lasting Power of Attorney (Property and Affairs) allows you to plan in advance who would manage your money and other assets if you were unable to do so yourself. This includes:
- Managing a bank or building society account
- Paying bills
- Collecting benefits or a pension
- Selling your home.
Lasting Power of Attorney (Health and Welfare) allows your attorneys to make decisions about things like:
- Life sustaining treatment
- Moving to a care home
I can create and register your Lasting Power of Attorney for you.
If you instruct me to complete and register your Lasting Power(s) of Attorney, my service includes:
- Completion of all paperwork.
- Acting as your Certificate Provider to state that you understand what a Lasting Power of Attorney is, and you consent to your attorneys acting on your behalf when appropriate.
- Ensuring that all the people involved have signed the appropriate paperwork.
- Informing your “person to be told” that you are registering your Lasting Power of Attorney.
- Registering your Lasting Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian
- Checking the final registered document before I send it to you.
Lasting Power of Attorney – £350
Pair of Lasting Powers of Attorney for spouses or partners – £500
Please note: you may also be required to pay a registration fee of a maximum of £82 (for each Lasting Power of Attorney registered)– please ask me for more details.
Please see what the Money Expert Martin Lewis has to say about Lasting Powers of Attorney: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/
The One Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfwPghjW_M
I would definitely recommend Amanda Harris’s service to others. Amanda created and registered Lasting Powers of Attorney for my mum. She was friendly and approachable and very good at talking to my mum, who is in her 80’s. She made appropriate suggestions that I hadn’t considered and thought outside the box. I appreciated her honest and thoughtful advice